Friday, July 4, 2008

Fourth of July Meme

Courtesy of Toast...


1. Are you "proud to be an American"?
Not presently. Sad. Our president is an embarrassment. Our economy is leading the downward spiral because of our unchecked greed. But I think a lot of Americans are starting to see that our arrogance is unwarranted and maybe we'll stop resting on our laurels and start being a country I can be proud of again.

2. Favorite Founding Father?
Ben Franklin. Smart, funny, suave, fun-haver. I'd definitely hang out with him were he around today.

3. Favorite president?
It used to be Calvin Coolidge because he didn't really do much (back when I was an Objectivist small-government-loving Libertarian). And while he's no longer my favorite, he is from Northampton, Massachusetts and he was a funny fucking guy. I don't currently have a favorite.

4. Biggest "Patriotic Moment"?
Can't think of one.

5. Favorite patriotic song?
It's not really patriotic, but I love "American Girl" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

6. Favorite American cuisine?
New England clam chowder...mmmm, creamy goodness surrounding chewy clams. Heaven!

7. Happiest political moment of your life?
I never cared much about politics before hooking up with Toast and not much good has happened since then politically, so I'll go with Ned Lamont winning the Democratic nomination for Senate. I'll always hold a special place in the coldest, darkest part of my heart for that fuckwad, Joe Lie-berman, for fucking that all up. It started a grassroots movement, though, so not all was lost.

8. Best fireworks display you've ever seen?
I don't have a good memory for such things.

9. America's gift to the world?
Our attitude and our music.

10. Favorite Bill of Rights right?
The first, second and sixth all both great, but I'll go with a nice combination of the first and second.
"The people should never fear their government; the government should fear its citizens."
"Oh, how I wish our populace were educated about the concept of a General Strike! Combine the political possibilities of a nationwide shutdown with the communicative power of the net, and that might well be more fearful to a government than an armed populace. "
(Thank you, nightshift.)

11. Favorite American Holiday?
Thanksgiving. Turkey. Potatoes. Cranberries. Pie.

12. Favorite D.C. monument?
I guess the Lincoln Memorial. I haven't been to Washington, D.C. since I was a preteen, so I don't have a good recollection.

13. Your dream for America's future?
To learn from our myriad mistakes and come out all the better because of them. Lead the world in technology, space exploration, the arts, start a new Renaissance.

2 comments:

Unknown said...


2. Favorite Founding Father?
Ben Franklin. Smart, funny, suave, fun-haver. I'd definitely hang out with him were he around today.


Be careful, Tracy, I hear he was quite the ladies' man.

Tracy said...

Rowr.