Friday, July 25, 2008

The Furious Meme

This looks like a lot of fun.

Start at the wikipedia page of the year of your birth, and pick the best (or your favorite) album from each year you've been alive.

1965 - Help! - The Beatles
1966 - If You Can Believe Your Eyes & Ears - The Mamas and the Papas
1967 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
1968 - The White Album - The Beatles (although it pained me to not pick Waiting For the Sun by the Doors, one of my first favorite albums)
1969 - Abbey Road - The Beatles
1970 - Pearl - Janis Joplin (American Beauty was also excellent)
1971 - Led Zeppelin IV - um, Led Zeppelin
1972 - Burning Love - Elvis
1973 - Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
1974 - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis
1975 - Born To Run - Bruuuuuuuce
1976 - 2112 - Rush
1977 - Never Mind the Bullocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - The Sex Pistols (left to my own devices, I would've put a semicolon instead of a comma)
1978 - The Cars - The Cars
1979 - Breakfast in America - Supertramp
1980 - Back in Black - AC/DC
1981 - Abacab - Genesis
1982 - Signals - Rush
1983 - I'm so sorry, but this is a tie and I cannot decide - 90125 by Yes and War by U2 (AND I was initially going to go with The Crossing by Big Country because In A Big Country is my favorite song ever)
1984 - Purple Rain soundtrack - Prince
1985 - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash - The Pogues
1986 - So - Peter Gabriel
1987 - Appetite for Destruction - Guns 'n Roses
1988 - Rattle and Hum - U2
1989 - Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
1990 - Shake Your Money Maker - The Black Crowes
1991 - Nevermind - Nirvana
1992 - Funky Divas - En Vogue
1993 - Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair
1994 - Evil, evil, evil meme, making me choose! It's not right! Goddamnit! I can't. It's a 3-way tie. I don't care. I can't choose. Superunknown - Soundgarden; Throwing Copper - Live; Under the Table and Dreaming - Dave Matthews Band
1995 - Sparkle and Fade - Everclear
1996 - Sublime - Sublime
1997 - Deconstructed - Bush
1998 - Devil Without a Cause - Kid Rock
1999 - Significant Other - Limp Bizkit
2000 - The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
2001 - Morning View - Incubus
2002 - Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
2003 - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below - Outkast
2004 - American Idiot - Green Day
2005 - Am I just old or did this year suck for music? Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
2006 - Future Sex/Love Sounds - Justin Timberlake (he's a fun guy - this year featured the Jonas Brothers and Paris Hilton, so cut me some slack - I'm not up on music like I used to be)
2007 - Back to Black - Amy Winehouse (I think this was released in 2006, but it was a best seller in 2007)
2008 - I plead the fifth. I just don't follow music anymore.

In retrospect, this was too much work. I'm not tagging anyone, although, if you read Furios' blog, you've already been tagged. Hah!

It's past the bird's bedtime now. Goodnight.

P.S. This exercise frustrated me. I forgot that in dealing with Wikipedia, you're getting what has been put in here by the general public. There were artists that would come up and I'd think, "Hey, that's not his first album, but this is the first year I saw his name listed! Damn!" That could explain things like 1992, 1997 and 2006 (I don't even know that album!).

4 comments:

Mike said...

Some solid selections there.

I'm putting mine up tomorrow (or at least part 1) and some of those are on mine.

Tracy said...

Some of the early stuff were records that I actually owned (or at least my parents did) that I liked. I wouldn't pick the Mama's and the Papa's or Elvis or even Janis Joplin now. Even though I lurve Elvis and I think Toast looks like him.

Mr Furious said...

I'll have to give that Amy Winehouse a listen. I ripped it into my iTunes, but never really got around to checking it out.

FriĆ°vin said...

I had said about two weeks ago I was going to do this but the idea alone nauseates me. Now if I were 20, I might.