Thursday, August 28, 2008

Question of the (Insert Preferred Time Period Here)

Coming home after a day at work is a glorious thing. Walking into your own space, being able to do your own thing between now and when you have to go back to work is one of life's serene joys.

When I was a kid, the first thing my Dad would do when he got home was take off his shoes. My mother-in-law takes off her bra. Toast immediately changes into his comfy clothes and slippers (cold weather) or Crocs (warm weather). To feel completely comfortable, I put on a bandeau to pull the hair off of my face and use a clippie to put up the back. There, all better! I can even walk around in my work clothes for a while as long as the hair's off my face.

What thing do you do when you get home from work that signifies the break and eases you into your evening?

14 comments:

kate.d. said...

comfy clothes, definitely! jersey shorts and tank tops in the warmer weather and yoga pants, t-shirts and hoodies in the colder weather. it's kind of embarrassing, actually, how quickly i cast off the "fit to be seen in public" clothing :)

Toast said...

it's kind of embarrassing, actually, how quickly i cast off the "fit to be seen in public" clothing :)

I bet you I'm faster.

John Howard said...

Ah, a Mr. Rogers question. I just change my clothes. But I don't know what you mean with that "do your own thing" stuff as soon as you get home, that doesn't happen until around 9 or so. That's why I stay up so late.

Chris Howard said...

Hmmm, start a load of laundry, put away yesterday's laundry, do some yard work, empty the dishwasher. It seems like I don't usually start to unwind until 8 or 9. some of it's having kids,but a lot of it is having a big house and yard. The tard can be beautifal and fun at times, but I'd ditch it in a heartbeat to have some time back.

Chris Howard said...

The tard

I'm tired - the yard, of course.

The Other Susan said...

Sneakers off, slippers on, jeans off, sweatpants (or old worn out elastic waist cotton skirt in hot weather) on, tank top or sweatshirt
to replace t-shirt.

And in a couple of hours, contacts out, glasses on.

Aside: I need to get new glasses that can be worn in public. The ones I have are ancient (15 years old?) and the prescription doesn't quite work with my current eyes......

Tracy said...

Now I understand why many people stay up so late - for their "me" time.

Chris Howard said...

Exactly, Tracy. I did go to bed earlier on weeknights before I had kids.

michelline said...

I usually get undressed. If everyone else is lucky, I'll then put on a nightgown :)

Chris Howard said...

If everyone else is lucky,

You mean unlucky, right?

Tracy said...

You two are so fucking cute.

Although I'm sure your kids would agree that they're lucky. Nobody wants naked parents around.

Chris Howard said...

Nobody wants naked parents around.

Libby doesn't care, she walks around half-naked a lotto. But it does mortify Tori. I haven't seen any of her girl-parts in years.

Anonymous said...

It is funny, I usually change from my golf shirt and work shorts to lighter athletic type shorts and a t-shirt. Back in New York, my work outfit was closer to my relax outfit.

And I take off my socks and go barefoot.

Tracy said...

Hank, work shorts? You're a lucky man.